The following Energy conservation and loss control measures were adopted during the year 2007-08 which have resulted in significant fuel savings:
- Maximization of Crude throughput in modern highly energy efficient integrated Crude & Vacuum Unit.
- Anti Foulant chemical injection in all Crude & Vacuum units
- Injection of fire side chemical additive in HVU heater.
- Regular cleaning of preheat exchangers of process units.
- High emissivity ceramic coating was applied in process tubes and refractory walls of CRU Inter 1 & 2 furnaces resulting in 3% fuel savings.
- Reduction of slops generation by tighter operational control.
- Reduction of Hydrogen loss to flare from Make Up Gas Compressor (MUG) section of Hydrocracker Unit by resetting of set point of control valve.
- RGC seal gas drain pot vent modification from flare to RGC suction in Hydrocracker resulting in reduction of 2 T/D of H2 to flare.
- Provision of still well sleeve assembly for 15 MS & Naphtha tanks to reduce evaporation losses.
- Continuous monitoring & control of all parameters of furnaces & boilers.
- Continuous monitoring & control of flare.
- Regular steam insulation & steam leak surveys and repairs.
- Replacement of leaky steam traps & regular attending to steam leaks.
Other energy conservation and loss control initiatives by Mumbai Refinery implemented/under various stages of implementation are given below:
- A comprehensive "Steam Generation and Distribution Study" was carried out by M/s. Tata Consulting Engineers. Phase wise replacement of steam headers insulation has commenced.
- Phased implementation of recommendations of the Slops system study in the refinery conducted by M/s. Engineers India Ltd., to minimize slops generation is under progress.
- A comprehensive survey on "Instrument Air Supply System" was carried out to identify instrument air leaks and the recommendations are being implemented.
- Further efforts to maximize crude throughput of the highly energy efficient CDU/VDU complex including revamp of the unit is being studied.
- Installation of Step-less control for MUG compressor of Hydrocracker unit is under implementation.
- Feasibility of Flare Gas Recovery System is being evaluated.