Kochi Refinery is implementing world class technologies in its operations for improving its margins as well as to face the competition from other players.
The refinery has implemented SPM facility capable of receiving Very Large Crude Carriers (VLCC), along with allied facilities including shore tank farm and connected pipelines. The technology was provided by M/s. Blue Water Energy Services, Netherlands. The project helped the refinery to achieve the benefits by way of cost reduction in crude oil transportation cost and the latest technological developments in the filed of crude oil procurement.
Other major technology absorptions at Kochi Refinery in the last few years are as follows:
- Fluid Catalytic Cracker (FCC) – Feed Injection Technology, Riser Termination Device and Packed Stripper by Stone & Webster for yield improvement.
- Process technology for blocked out mode operation of VGO and Diesel
in DHDS from M/s. Axens, France.
- Process technology for sweetening (MEROX) of catalytically cracked gasoline from M/s UOP, USA.
- Colloidal Mill technology for production of Bitumen Emulsion from M/s. ENH Engineering, Denmark.
- DHDS Reactor catalyst change to new generation HDS catalyst supplied by M/s Axens, France in Dec 2006 to produce Low Sulfur Diesel for meeting the Euro-III Diesel demand.
- A new Bitumen Blowing unit using Biturox technology from M/s Poerner Ingenieurgesellschaft MBH, Austria.
Manufacturing Execution System
Kochi Refinery has taken up a project for implementation if Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) with a view to employ state-of-the-art decision support systems for production planning and execution. This project has enabled the refinery to streamline its manufacturing business processes and contribute to corporate objectives in margin improvement, by implementation of AspenTech’s Suite of Solutions for Planning, Scheduling, Blending, Production Management and Laboratory Information Management.