Energy conservation efforts receive continuous focus both in terms of improvement in operations / maintenance as well as development of new projects. Continuous monitoring of fuel consumption, hydrocarbon loss, flare loss, heater/boiler performances are carried out systematically with the help of most sophisticated instruments. The analysis report and data compiled are communicated to the respective sections and necessary actions are initiated in case of any abnormalities.
BPCL-KR’s commitment to energy conservation begins at the design stage itself by incorporating energy efficient techniques. BPCL-KR has implemented several energy conservation schemes based on the experience gathered during the operation.
Some of the Energy conservation measures implemented recently are as follows:
- Commissioning of high pressure (HP) to medium pressure (MP) turbine for cooling water pump in DHDS block.
- Low pressure (LP) steam extraction from DHDS unit compressor DDC-2.
- DEA flow optimization to fuel gas amine absorption unit (FGAAU).
- Implementation of cascade control for steam reboilers in Aromatic Recovery Unit
- Automatic combustion control for DHDS charge heater
- LP steam air pre heater for crude distillation unit (CDU-2) charge heaters.
- FRP blades for column overhead fans in CDU-2.
- Stopping of one boiler feed water pump of utility boiler UB-8/9.
- Variable speed drives on-site trial runs conducted for 16 pumps in Kochi Refinery.
Regular, internal as well as external audits are conducted in different areas to reduce energy consumption.
- Steam leak and trap survey.
- Insulation surveys to identify the heat loss
- Heater survey to estimate stack losses and setting losses.
Encon (Energy Conservation) Clubs
Revitalised the Encon Club activities by increasing the number of encon Clubs from the earlier 25 to 50 numbers. Organises various programmes in schools and colleges to spread the message of energy conservation and environment protection.
BPCL KR has created a dedicated website for environment protection: www.bpclkochirefineryenconclub.in to share with the public the need, concept and methodology of energy conservation and environment protection.
Energy Group: Employee representatives from different departments are encouraged to meet periodically to present suggestions on energy conservation and environment protection. The forum constitutes of over 40 representatives from different departments of the organization.